To keep you better informed about the biggest trends and developments affecting medication management and adherence, here are 10 of the most significant news reports published in July 2020. Highlights include stories on restricted access to pharmacists, medication synchronization, medication therapy management, new COPD guideline, and an announcement from Cureatr.
1. Barriers Keep Pharmacist From Seeing Patients During Pandemic
Pharmacy Today explores why pharmacists are facing increased barriers to delivering care during the COVID-19 health crisis, which includes lack of provider status.
2. How Does Medication Synchronization Support Medication Adherence?
Medication synchronization — a medication management strategy that aligns the refill dates for two or more prescriptions — has become an essential pill management strategy, reports Patient Engagement HIT.
3. Implementing a Pharmacist-to-Pharmacist Transitions-of-Care Initiative
A Pharmacy Today story discusses the results of a study that investigated the impact of including pharmacists in transitions of care.
4. Developing a Framework for Delivery of Medication Therapy Management in a Specialty Pharmacy
Learn some of the essential steps required to create a successful medication therapy management service in a specialty pharmacy in this Pharmacy Times column.
5. Fun and Games for Medication Adherence
Companies are turning to rewards and "gamification" to motivate patients to adhere to their prescription regimen, reports Managed Healthcare Executive.
6. Contact and Education Improves Medication Adherence in Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease Patients
Diabetes Times reports on a study showing that people with type 2 diabetes and/or cardiovascular disease are more likely to take their medications as prescribed if they have regular contact with a healthcare professional and receive education.
7. ATS Releases Practice Guideline for COPD
The American Thoracic Society (ATS) released a clinical practice guideline on the pharmacologic management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which is useful in helping pharmacists manage patients with COPD.
8. Higher Medication Adherence Improves Health-Related Quality of Life in Sarcoidosis
Data published in Chest indicates that among patients with sarcoidosis, higher medication adherence was associated with improved health-related quality of life.
9. Medication Therapy Management, Immunizations as Advanced Career Options
Pharmacy Times discusses the growing need for pharmacy technicians with medication therapy management and immunization/vaccination skill sets.
10. Cureatr Extending Open Access to Meds 360° Software During COVID-19 Outbreak
In light of continued spikes of the novel coronavirus throughout the United States, Cureatr announced it was extending and expanding its COVID-19 response program by continuing to offer its free medication management software and now offering free virtual patient medication reviews.