To keep you better informed about the biggest trends and developments affecting medication management and adherence, here are 10 of the most significant news reports published in June 2020. Highlights include stories on the effects of the pandemic on adherence, prescription trends, telehealth, and the role of specialty pharmacies.
1. Managing Medication Adherence During COVID-19
Patient Safety & Quality Healthcare explores how the pandemic is both negatively and positively affecting medication adherence.
2. Nearly 70% of Patients Make Personal or Financial Sacrifices to Afford Medications
The results of a new survey of 1,000 patients show that a majority of patients struggle to afford their prescribed medications.
3. Pandemic Triggers Big Swings in Prescription Drug Use
The Associated Press interviewed Dr. Glen Stettin, who oversees trend and formulary management at Express Scripts, concerning changes in prescription-filling patterns during the pandemic.
4. Number of People Buying Prescription Medications Outside U.S. Could Rise With Unemployment, Uninsured Rates
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) indicates that financial hardship caused by the pandemic may motivate more Americans to purchase prescription drugs from international pharmacies as a way of reducing their medication costs.
5. Coronavirus: 4-Part Ethical Framework for Allocating Scarce Medications
HealthLeaders reports on a JAMA article that argues for following a four-part ethical framework to guide decisions about allocating scarce inpatient medications for coronavirus patients.
6. Telehealth Boom Times During COVID-19: Implications for Pharma
This column from members of the Manatt Health team discusses the role of telehealth in improving medication adherence, among other benefits.
7. Specialty Pharmacies Continue Assisting Patients Amid COVID-19
A Pharmacy Times article highlights the role of specialty pharmacies in helping patients during the pandemic, including by leveraging telepharmacy services.
8. Preserve Seniors' Access to Lifesaving LTC Pharmacy Medication Management Expertise
In a column for McKnight's Long-Term Care News, the head of the Senior Care Pharmacy Coalition discusses why access to prescription drugs for nursing home and assisted living patients is under threat and explains some potential remedies.
9. How Does Medication Adherence Affect Mortality Risk in Patients With Colorectal Cancer, Diabetes?
The results of a study published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention demonstrated that for individuals with diabetes and colorectal cancer, maintaining high adherence to oral diabetes medication was associated with a greatly reduced overall risk of mortality when compared with lower adherence.
10. Telehealth Program Enhances Engagement, Glycemic Control in Rural Patients With Diabetes
This Drug Topics article shares promising results from an analysis of a 6-month telehealth intervention — which included clinician-guided medication management — for glycemic control in patients with diabetes.