To keep you better informed about the biggest trends and developments affecting medication management, medication adherence, and clinical pharmacist services, here are 10 of the most significant news reports published in June. Highlights include stories on transitions of care, comprehensive medication management, medication concentration risk, readmission rates, and medication management for hip and knee arthroplasty.
1. Clinical Pharmacists Value During Transition of Care Services Evaluated
Incorporating the services of a clinical pharmacist within post-discharge standard of care practices can reduce 30-day all-cause readmission rates, particularly among geriatric patients, according to a study.
2. Comprehensive Medication Management Could Be Key to Reducing Cost, Improving Chronic Disease Markers
Comprehensive medication management has been shown to improve disease markers, and research indicates it could also reduce costs.
3. A Comprehensive, Proactive Plan Is Needed to Mitigate Risk When Changing Drug Concentrations
The Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) identifies elements of a comprehensive, proactive medication concentration change plan that can help prevent confusion and reduce medication errors.
4. Hospital Readmission Rates May Affect Adverse Event Risk in Patients Admitted With Pneumonia
Patients with pneumonia who were admitted to hospitals with high readmission rates had an elevated risk for in-hospital adverse events, according to a study.
5. Medicare Patients in Poor Neighborhoods Benefited Most From CMS Telehealth Expansion, Study Finds
Expanding Medicare coverage of telemedicine during the pandemic increased odds of use among minority populations and patients in metropolitan areas.
6. Future of Work: Rite Aid Wants to Put Your Pharmacist in Your Pocket
Rite Aid's CEO says the future of pharmacy should be full-service and "transportable."
7. Full ACR Guideline on Medication Management for Hip, Knee Arthroplasty Released
The latest recommendations referencing the medical management of patients with rheumatic diseases undergoing elective total hip or total knee arthroplasty has been published by the American College of Rheumatology and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
8. Older Adults With ADHD Have Unique Needs That Clinicians Should Heed, Expert Says
Older adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are better served by clinicians who understand how medications and coexisting conditions may affect their health.
9. Real-World Research Tool Helps Boost Specialty Drug Adherence
Using pragmatic study design, investigators identified a large cohort of patients who were nonadherent to their medications and developed targeted interventions that led to significant compliance improvements.
10. Treatment Setting, Demographics Impact Adherence to Biologic Regimens for Asthma Care
Administration setting and demographics were among the factors that affected adherence to biologic treatment among patients with moderate to severe asthma, according to a study.